JNP

podcast

Saturday: Cross-country and cross-sport action

Welcome to another Saturday in the world of hockey uniform design. I hope you're enjoying your day as much as I've been enjoying mine.

On to the concepts.

--------


Hartford Wolf Pack (by Andrew)

Hot off the heels of the news that the current Connecticut Whale may be considering a change back to their previous Wolf Pack identity, Andrew brings us a concept that would make the Wolf Pack very reminiscent of their parent team in New York. I have always loved the Rangers' diagonal script, and I certainly wouldn't complain if the Rangers revived the design they wore from 1978-1987 with "New York" across their road jersey instead of "Rangers" on both. Yes, I know it's typically a baseball thing and we're not on a baseball blog but I think it's a nice touch. The third jersey is quite similar to the Rangers' Lady Liberty thirds that they never should have retired, and that look works as well.

No critiques here.

Overall, I'll give it an 8.5/10.

Chicago Terraplanes (by CPM)

Here we have a contribution by an anonymous designer for a fictional fantasy team that would look pretty damn good in the real world. You see, my problem with roundel logos, as I've mentioned before, is based on teams suddenly adding roundel logos (Columbus, Florida, etc.) when there was nothing to suggest such a logo in their history. This logo would definitely work, though. I also like the double blue color scheme. To me, it doesn't really suggest Chicago since most Chicago sports teams wear red in some way but here it really works.

I would change the stripe on the pants so it matches the jersey. No reason why the so-called "Northwestern stripe" can't work on the pants.

Overall, I'll give it an 8/10.

New York Islanders (by Jesper)

The Islanders certainly caught a lot of flack the two times they tried to move away from their classic design (1995 and 2007) and if this was a primary jersey, I have no doubt it'd cause as much trouble. As a third jersey, though, I think this one would go over a lot better. It's certainly better than that BFBS abomination they current have as their third.

I have some problems with this one. The template used - the Edge template with the over-underarm piping - is one I've never cared for and I'm not sure a third jersey the same color as the primary home jersey would work too well. Finally, I think the logo is a bit too busy. You've got five different graphic elements (stripes, wordmark, pucks, logo, lighthouse) on the shield. Simplifying it would go a long way to improving this one.

Overall, I'll give it a 7/10.

New Orleans Hornets (by Mike)

This one is particularly interesting because it's based on an identity that will soon be consigned to the history books. For those of you unaware, earlier this year the Hornets announced that they will be rebranding to become the New Orleans Pelicans. It's certainly an interesting name since the Pelican isn't exactly an intimidating bird and the logos... and I'm getting off-topic again. Anyway! My dislike of vertical sleeve piping aside, this one looks good. As a translation of the Hornets' identity to hockey, it definitely works.

I'm not feeling the 90s Capitals number font, though. It just doesn't work for me. I guess it feels too... what's the word I'm looking for? Uh... formal? Yeah, that's the ticket! Too formal! Also, the name on the back and the front logo should be bigger. You've got space, so use it! Finally, you forgot to include the sleeve numbers. Don't forget those.

Overall, I'll give it a 7/10.

Utah Jazz (by Mike)

Ah, the Utah Jazz. So many good memories of watching the Bulls face off against them in epic mid-90s playoff series. Good times. Great memories. Better concept. Seriously. This might be my favorite of Mike's NBA-NHL concepts. Honestly, if you modified the logo to change the basketball to a puck, it'd be perfect for a hockey team. The name would be a little strange since the Jazz name is a relic left over from when the team played in New Orleans, but it's still a great concept.

While I know it's the correct green from the Jazz' uniforms, I'd brighten the green just a little bit to make it stand out. Even sandwiched between the white and gold, it's a bit hard to see.

Overall, I'll give it an 8.5/10.

Anaheim Ducks (by Peter)

Peter makes an always-popular choice and combines the Ducks' two eras to produce new jerseys. It's something I considered when I redesigned the Ducks for my Nike-NHL series but as you'll see when I finish the series and send the concepts in, I went in a different direction. I really like the addition of the fauxback. I know the Ducks aren't likely to bring it back since they seem to want to restrict the Mighty Ducks look to their third jersey's shoulder patch but this one would be good.

The execution is where this one goes wrong. The logos are pixelated which hurts the design, and you put curved stripes on the sleeves yet the hem stripes are straight. Pick one or the other. I'd go with straight. I'd also simplify the stripe style if you're going for something like the 90s look. Finally, the phantom yoke needs to go. Either fill in the yoke or get rid of the stripe.

Overall, I'll give it a 6/10.

Colorado Avalanche (by Peter)

Now this one I can definitely get behind. The Avs' current set suffers from being a typical Reebok Edge mistake and Peter has corrected their look by giving them a far more traditional design. This is far and away better than their current set. The Avalanche need something like this ASAP.

The removal of silver and black from the color scheme of the home and road jerseys hurts the design. Notice that the outline on the numbers on the home jersey doesn't stand out well. I'd make the numbers more like their current numbers to fix that.

Overall, I'll give it a 7.5/10.

Minnesota Wild (by Stephane)

The Wild currently have an identity that could be charitably described as disjointed. None of their jerseys share the same design template, nor do they share a logo. What Stephane has done is take the design of their current third, which is the best of their three jerseys, and use it to make a primary set. It's a traditional design that fits a state with the hockey history of Minnesota and the unity of the designs is a breath of fresh air. The use of all-vintage white instead of plain white might ruffle some feathers but I like it.

Make the crest bigger. That's my only critique.

Overall, I'll give it a 9/10 and a COTW nomination.

Vancouver Canucks (by Tristan)

It's just my luck that the last concept I have to grade is a Canucks concept. The funny thing is that apart from a few minor changes, I like the Canucks' current identity a whole lot more than I like the team itself. Tristan has done something that a lot of people think the Canucks should do and create a modern update to their inaugural jerseys by using the modern stick-in-rink as the primary logo. While I personally prefer the orca to the stink-in-rink as a primary logo, here it works. Thank you so much for getting rid of the wordmark above the logo. It's one design on the Canucks' jerseys that needs to be removed yesterday.

I don't like the phantom yokes, and I think the orca should have been retained as the shoulder patch instead of the bodyless Johnny Canuck. Also, I'm relatively certain that the stripe across the chest of the third would start a war between Quebec and British Columbia, and if you're going to do the V-in-stripe design from the old jerseys, make the stripe bigger. It just doesn't look right just jutting out from the stripe like that. Finally, the current number font doesn't work for the heritage jersey. A block font would be more fitting for a tribute jersey.

Overall, I'll give it an 8/10.
Saturday: Cross-country and cross-sport action Reviewed by Kevin W. on March 30, 2013 Rating: 5

6 comments:

Tyler Gross said...

I'll second Stephane for COTW

Anonymous said...

The rounded logo for Columbus could stand for Ohio, I guess.

Scott Markiewicz said...

Andrew's Wolf Pack set for COTW! It looks pretty good! The only gripe I have is that it looks too much like the Rangers. And if they were to roll this set out if the go back to the Pack, all the Whaler fans in Hartford will riot because it's not the "Whaler" brand. A lot of them still complain that the team is affiliated with the Rangers.

Alan John Herbert said...

Andrew's Wolf Pack concept got my COTW vote.

Andrew G. said...

Thank you so much! Sorry it's late, but just got back from the NCAA East hockey Regional.

Anonymous said...

@Kevin: thanks for the comments and nomination. I know that logo is shouting "I'm so darn perfect, make me bigger!" and he's right, but if you consider the stitching of a jersey's side panels, this is the correct size for a front logo.

All Rights Reserved by Jersey Nerds Podcast © 2014 - 2015
Powered By Blogger, Designed by Sweetheme

(c)2018 HockeyJerseyConcepts.com

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.