JNP

podcast

Saturday: Hockey potpourri

First up on this beautiful Saturday, the last of the Macon redesign entries:

--------


John

Austin

Derek

On to the concepts.

--------


Peterborough Petes (by Bastian)

Bastian brings us an entry in another one of his series. This time, he brings us the oldest still-operating team in the Ontario Hockey League. I like the idea here. It's a very interesting fusion of a traditional striping pattern and a modern one that really fits together well. I definitely like the simple color scheme too.

No critiques here.

Overall, I'll give it an 8/10.

Washington Capitals (by Charles)

This one's interesting because it's a mish-mash of several different ideas. First of all, Charles used the Under Armour template, which is something you don't see often. Secondly, he used 2/3rds of Washington's mid-90s color scheme, relegating black to the shoulder patch. Finally, he used the Weagle as a primary logo, which I definitely like. Overall, it's a solid concept that unifies several different design ideas well.

The pixelation of the name, numbers and logos hurt what is otherwise a solid design. Fix those and it would be even better.

Overall, I'll give it a 7/10.

Tampa Bay Lightning (by Darren)

As I've mentioned before, I don't like how Steve Yzerman currently has the Lightning playing Original Six dress-up and Darren has done well to de-Yzermanize the Bolts. He's put gray back in their color scheme and given them an interesting two-blue style, which I really like. Plus, the design is a normal design that looks good without being too traditional or making them look like they're trying to imitate a team with far more history than the Bolts do. Well done.

Just one tip: save the file as a PNG instead of a JPG. While it's likely that the file will lose some quality due to the 1200 pixel requirement, saving it as a JPG hurts the quality even more.

Overall, I'll give it a 7/10.

Connecticut Huskies (by David)

And so David ventures into the college ranks, bringing us the Huskies of the University of Connecticut. The color scheme and the logo are definitely fitting for a hockey team, and the traditional design is definitely good for a team that (if Wikipedia is any indication) tends to err towards the side of tradition in the great uniform debate. This would fit as a great third jersey for them.

It's a tiny bit of a pet peeve when a concept depicts a team wearing the wrong uniform manufacturer. UConn is a Nike school. It'd look better if the concept was on a Swift template. Strive for accuracy!

Overall, I'll give it an 8/10.

Facebook (by Filip)

I really don't know what to think of this one. It's really out of left field. That has to be the single most inventive number-on-back style I have ever seen, and the hem stripe is genius.

I don't see why you couldn't match the sleeve stripes to the hem stripes and put some Like symbols on the sleeves.

Overall, I'll give it a 7/10.

Chicago Blackhawks (by Justin)

It's always fun to judge a Justin concept because he really puts in a ton of effort to every concept he does. This one is no exception. To me, this looks like a red alternate version of their Winter Classic jersey and I love just about every detail. The color balance, especially sans white, is fantastic, and the image quality speaks for itself. Justin, if you're reading this, what program do you use to make your concepts? Inquiring minds want to know.

The concept is not perfect, though. Justin, like the Winter Classic jersey, used the Blackhawks' 1937-1955 crest, which I feel is in need of an update. If he'd put the modern logo inside the roundel, the logo would have been much better.

Overall, I'll give it an 8.5/10 and a COTW nomination.

Buffalo Sabres (by Kyle)

If the Sabres aren't going to go back to a throwback look full-time like the Isles and Oilers have done, then something like this is the next best thing. No more Reebok Edge nonsense. Here's a traditional design that works within the constraints of Buffalo's current designs. It has a normal stripe pattern that incorporates the silver and doesn't include any weird piping or pit stains. Well done.

I don't see why the standard logo wouldn't work here, but the sabre logo works just fine too.

Overall, I'll give it an 8/10.

Boston Bruins (by Stephen)

I did one of Stephen's Nike designs in my post last week and this one is just as good. I love getting stuck with the traditional designs to judge since it's so easy. All I have to do is ask myself: did the designer maintain the proper traditional aesthetic? If the answer is yes, then the concept is already halfway to being a good concept. Boston fits that mold and Stephen has maintained the look. Well done.

My (slightly truncated comments) on Stephen's Blackhawks concept last week are worth repeating: "The pixelation of the logos hurts the concept, though. You can make those cleaner. ... Also (and this is a problem several people have) I don't like it when people don't change the color of the dots in the "mesh" on a dark jersey. It's off-putting to have all those white dots on a dark jersey."

Overall, I'll give it an 8/10.
Saturday: Hockey potpourri Reviewed by Kevin W. on March 23, 2013 Rating: 5

5 comments:

winnipegjets96 said...

Kyle C for COTW< I love how the sabre logo loooks in blue!

Dylan W. said...

The facebook one is really creative! I think a pretty gross actual jersey haha, but if facebook had a team this is a genius jersey for them to use!

T said...

Second Justin's Hawks for COTW

Tyler Gross said...

I'm pretty sure Justin uses Adobe Illustrator just from pass conversations I've had with him. I'm pretty sure you have to pay for Illustrator so I recommend Inkscape, which is basically a free version of it.

Anonymous said...

@Tyler: Hmm. Being an Illustrator user since its birth, I woudn't go as far as saying Inkscape is a free version of it. It's a good alternative to it, probably the best free one, but it is nowhere near being the same. And I don't say this partially, cause I hate Adobe and its pricing policy and miserable customer support...

All Rights Reserved by Jersey Nerds Podcast © 2014 - 2015
Powered By Blogger, Designed by Sweetheme

(c)2018 HockeyJerseyConcepts.com

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.